K1 Visas

The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) provides a nonimmigrant visa classification, “K-1”, for aliens coming to the United States to marry U.S. citizens and reside in the U.S.

» A U.S. citizen must file an I-129F petition with USCIS for the issuance of a K-1 fiancée visa to the alien fiancée.
» Both the U.S. citizen exercising this option and the fiancée must remain unmarried until the arrival of the fiancée in the U.S.
» The alien fiancée and U.S. citizen must have met personally at least once in the two years before the petition was filed.
» The marriage between the U.S. citizen petitioner and the fiancée must take place within three months of the fiancée’s arrival if the alien fiancée is to remain in status.